Saturday, November 17, 2007

An Introduction

It seems that every day I browse the business section of the CNN website or the front page of MSN there is a news article about a social networking site. Facebook, Myspace, Youtube and others are the top headlines everywhere I turn. What seemed to me as a waste of time is worth billions of dollars to the major companies of the web. So with headlines such as "Facebook valued at $15 billion dollars?", I wanted to investigate a little.

What I have found out so far is that all of this value is being centered around advertising, and what is intriguing to me about Facebook is that they are willing to share or allow developers to profit from applications they develop on their platform. There are already several developers whose applications generate ad revenue of more than $50,000.00 per month.

This sounds like such a good oppurtunity to me that I am going to try (without really any development experience) to create my own facebook application.

My Technical Background:
A) HTML: Intermediate
B) Javascript: Beginner
C) Flash: Intermediate

Thats it. I have created a few websites in my time but other than that I have no experience. My short term goal is to develop a simple app. I am not expecting to make any money at first, but I figure if I get the fundamentals down, that I am a creative enough person to come up with an application that a lot of people would use.

I plan to post each step in the process so that other newbies can hopefully learn from me and my mistakes. I hope everyone enjoys and don't laugh to hard at some of my failures along the way.

No comments: